Sunday, April 19, 2009

Get out and shoot!

Occasionally, I start to feel complacent, thinking I'm doing a good job, making a decent living, taking nice pictures. Then, I come across someone with really powerful work and I doubt myself. I remember my journalistic roots, and my dreams of shooting something really meaningful. This happened recently when someone forwarded me a link to Aperture's "Photography with Purpose." In particular, I was moved by a story on Rwandan children born of rape (follow the link below to see some of the photos).

http://www.torgovnik.com/

The photographer -- Jonathan Torgovnik -- is very, very good. Every time I see images that affect me on such a visceral level, I feel like I just need to get out and shoot, and not worry so much about making a living.

1 comments:

virginia photographer said...

Thanks for posting this.